Monday, April 11, 2011

Toasted Cheerios

I'm dedicating my post today to my college roommate and dear friend, Jackie.  Jackie and I are returning to alumni weekend on Friday, and as I reminisce about all that we have experienced together, my thoughts immediately turn to food.  (Granted, when I think about anything long enough, my thoughts typically turn to food, but that is neither here nor there.) 

Jackie and I have shared many food-related experiences over the years.  We were often the only people up early enough to enjoy breakfast at the college dining hall.  We became popular at a particular fraternity house in college when they allowed us to use their kitchen in return for samples of the cookies we made.  We made Sonic runs at all times of the day and night, celebrated our roommate anniversary over cini-minis at Burger King, and could often be found on Sunday after church enjoying the Pizza Hut buffet while recapping the gossip of the weekend.  One of my favorite food memories with Jackie is a treat she made for me the first time I visited her at her parents' house in Oklahoma.  Jackie asked me if I'd ever tried Toasted Cheerios.  I had not, but I was intrigued.  So Jackie whipped up a batch for me, and from then on, I've been hooked.  Here's the recipe:

Pour yourself a bowl of Cheerios.  (Do not add milk.)  Set aside.  Melt about 1 Tbsp (or more if you want) of butter in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add Cheerios from bowl.  Saute Cheerios for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until they are toasty but not browned.  Pour back into bowl.  Eat.  

WARNING: They are addictive.  I still eat them all the time.  I have no explanation for why they are so good (besides the obvious butter, I guess), but I have never met anyone who could resist them. 

Jackie and I have enjoyed delicious snacks together all over the country since college, from swanky restaurants in New York and Denver, to In-&-Out Burger in San Diego and Pot Belly's in DC, but the Toasted Cheerios always take me back to our crazy college days.  I am so thankful for our friendship - and for Toasted Cheerios!  Can't wait to see you this weekend, J!

1 comment:

  1. These sound VERY promising. I think butter makes the world a better place...

    ReplyDelete