Sunday, March 6, 2011

I smell bacon...



So I know I’m about two years late to the chocolate and bacon party, but this is a trend that has intrigued me for sometime now, and I finally decided to give it a shot today.  Many before me have evaluated the pros of cons of meat candy already (check out http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/09/chocolate-and-meat-trend-bacon-vosges-mole.html, http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/food_coach&id=7096731, and http://www.hungrypassport.com/2010/12/in-defense-of-the-bacon-in-the-chocolate-trend/), and the reviews are mixed.  I recently bought a new cookbook called Recipes Every Man Should Know by Susan Russo and Brett Cohen.  The cookbook has an entire chapter devoted to “Beer, Bacon & Bar Food,” which includes a recipe for Bacon Brownies.  This gave me the perfect opportunity to test out the meat and sweets movement.  I am happy to say that my experiment was a huge success.  Now I’m not sure that every combo of bacon and chocolate will turn out delicious, but this one is definitely a winner.  Here’s the recipe for you – I guarantee the bacon- and brownie-lovers in your life will not be disappointed!

Bacon Brownies
30 minutes / 16 brownies

6 bacon strips
1 package store-bought brownie mix
Store-bought caramel sauce, warmed, for serving
Whipped cream for serving

  1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until somewhat crispy.  Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.  Chop four strips into small pieces, reserving two strips for garnish.
  2. Make brownie batter according to package directions and stir in chopped bacon; pour into a greased 8-inch-square baking pan.  For optimal bacon distribution, swirl a spatula through batter.  Bake according to chart on package.
  3. To serve, place a brownie on a plate.  Drizzle with warm caramel.  Place a dollop of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with reserved chopped bacon.  Await praise. 

1 comment:

  1. These turned out pretty tasty! Not overly bacon-y...and a nice, simple recipe amendment...

    ReplyDelete