Sunday, February 13, 2011

Eating with your eyes first – is presentation everything?



My dear friend, Jennifer (who created this blog for me – thanks, Jen!), invited us over for sushi the other night.  She and her husband are actually former sushi chefs, so this was an amazing treat!  They taught us how to prep all of the ingredients, how to properly make the rice, and how to build California rolls and spicy tuna rolls, just like at the sushi bar.  We even created sushi out of steak and mushrooms, and she showed me how to create a rose out of pieces of tuna!  It was a wonderful evening – so relaxing and fun – and we were so full when we left!  (Check out pictures of our sushi under the "Fun in the Kitchen and Finished Treats" page.)

Jennifer mentioned to me when we were making the sushi (well, she was making the sushi, and I was gazing in admiration at her handiwork) that in Japan, presentation is very important.  There are specific techniques that must be mastered and garnishes that add flair and flavor to each dish, all of which indicate the quality of the food even before you take the first bite.  However, she and her husband are Korean, and in that culture, food is more about the mixture of flavors than the elaborate design.  She said that in Korea, their version of sushi involves a bowl of rice with the components (lettuce, fish, etc.) all mixed up together.      

I can understand both sides of this dichotomy.  As a cake decorator, I have seen people drop piles of money on elaborately decorated cakes, with no guarantee of anything worth eating under all that frosting.  I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by a “rock star” cake masquerading as some kind of “average joe” bake sale cake.  I’ve spent many hours learning to create beautiful flowers and decorations out of buttercream, gum paste, and fondant, but equally as importantly, I’ve spent a great deal of time perfecting recipes with the ideal taste and texture. 

To me, the taste is far more important than the decoration.  By my very nature, I’m more of a cake person than an icing person.  In fact, I usually just scrape off most of the frosting on a piece of cake.  But I know that if something doesn’t look appealing, many people won’t even give it a try.  I mean, think about sushi – if it didn’t look so awesome, how many otherwise squeamish Americans would have really jumped on the raw fish bandwagon? 

So I ask you, can you judge a cake by its icing?  Is presentation really more important than content?  Is food a metaphor for life in this context?  (Whoa, it just got deep in here.  I promise tomorrow I’ll just talk about conversation hearts or something.)  Let me know what you think! 


8 comments:

  1. An excellent question. Like you, I've found that beautiful cakes are frequently not delicious, and delicious cakes are usually not very pretty. My skepticism of pretty cakes stems from the fact that a tender-crumbed cake can't support all that frosting very well. But you're right, sometimes a gorgeous cake surprises you! Nevertheless, I'm a cake person, not a frosting person. and "everyday" loaf pan cakes will always be my favorite.

    Congrats on the blog. Look forward to reading more!

    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what is with the foam and rice krispie treats as a base? I'm not the baker you are, but I can go at it from a design standpoint. I do like the occasional beautiful thing that has no purpose, but "Form Follows Function" always gives you the product that satisfies and suprises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the presentation of food enhances the whole experience, and therefore adds to your eating pleasure. When it is an option, I enjoy having both a great presentation and great flavor. However, if I have to chose one over the other, I'd rather have flavor than presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call me nuts, but I want presentation AND taste:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a friend in college who said, "Sometimes food is just fuel." Perhaps, but isn't that a little sad?

    In our family, we often say, "Food is Love." And isn't Love better when it is experienced with all the senses? To hear the sounds from the kitchen, or the voices of those who are closest to us; to catch a familiar and enticing scent; to REALLY see, not just the final appearance, but every element; to feel texture, temperature (and more); and finally, to taste--for food, prepared with love, communicates that love.

    Even more: In every religious tradition I know, one of the most important sacraments is the Communal meal, lovingly prepared and shared with our loved ones, and with God.

    Is presentation everything? Is it more important than content? Of course not; but a loving presentation communicates the love that goes into a dish--and whether it's Spaghetti-O's in a plastic bowl at the kitchen counter, or Spicy Tuna Rolls with every ingredient lovingly isolated in the whole, with wasabe and ginger and a culicue of sriracha on black lacquer by candlelight, it counts.

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Love,
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your comments and for reading my inaugural entry! I'm totally with you guys who said you want it both ways. I think with food, as it is with life, our expectations for what is on the inside are set by what we see on the outside, which is what makes an experience disappointing or exciting when those expectations are not met. In many areas of life, we are looking for the total package. Why would it be any different with food, one of our most primary desires? Happy Valentine's Day, and may we all enjoy the total package in every area of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your dad...in my family we say "Food is love" too! But as far as my cooking skills go, I'm still trying to get the hang of making things taste good. Presentation is still a ways off for me. Bring on the Spaghetti Os!!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to add that I love your dad.

    ReplyDelete